Date of call to the bar: 1962
Date appointed silk: 1979
Areas of Expertise:
Areas of Practice:
Mr Burbidge works predominantly in the fields of Government and non-Government Inquiries, Commercial and Insurance Law, Administrative Law and Common Law. He is often retained to lead in cases that pose unusual factual or legal problems or call for particular cross-examination skills.
He is on occasion retained solely to conduct cross-examination of key witnesses, particularly those proffering expert opinion evidence. Areas of familiarity include mining, engineering, foreign law, soil science, toxic torts, medicine, economic theory and epidemiology. In the appellate area, he has argued a number of leading tort law cases, and has argued constitutional matters for unions, for the Commonwealth, and for the state of New South Wales.
Mr Burbidge appeared as leading counsel include
Civil Cases Include:
-Agresta v Agresta  NSWCA 330
- Shields v State of New South Wales  NSWCA 164
- Bennie v State of New South Wales  NSWSC
- Lo Presti v Ford Motor Company of Australia Ltd [No 2]  WASC 12
- Labrador Liquor Wholesale Pty Ltd & Ors v. Chief Executive Officer of Customs  QCA 1
- Lymbery v Commonwealth of Australia  NSWSC 183
- Brambles Australia Ltd v British American Tobacco Australia Services Ltd  NSWDDT 15
- Stankowski v Commonwealth of Australian  NSWSC 198; Commonwealth of Australia v Stankowski  NSWCA 106
-Worland v Tobin  NSWSC 113; Tobin v Worland  NSWCA 188
- Monasavu People v The Government of Fiji - sub nom Ratu Naqa v Fiji Electricity Authority  FJHC 401; HBC0237.2002
- Stringer v Commonwealth of Australia  NSWSC 1132
- Olbourne v Wolf  NSWCA 141
- Rail Corporation New South Wales v Leduva Pty Ltd  NSWSC 1133
- Morrison v Akula Pty  NSWIRComm 41 (9 March 2004)
- N v Tara Anglican School for Girls  (Tara School rape case)
- Hail Creek Coal Pty Ltd v Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (2004) 143 IR 354
- Commonwealth of Australia v Cockatoo Dockyard Pty Ltd  NSWCA 192
- Ruddock & Ors v Taylor  NSWCA 262
- State of NSW v Coffey  NSWCA 361
- Dixon v Whisprun Pty Ltd  NSWCA 344
- Pacific Access Pty Ltd v Davies  NSWCA 218
- Seltsam Pty Ltd v McGuiness  NSW 29
- Murphy v Farmer (1988) 165 CLR 19
- Bendix Mintex Pty Ltd v Barnes (1997) 42 NSWLR 307
- Rama Furniture v QBE Insurance Ltd (unreported) NSWCA 20 June 1986
- R v Duncan; Ex Parte Australian Iron & Steel Pty Ltd (1983) 158 CLR 535
Criminal Cases include:
- Nancy Ann Kissel ats Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- Senior Counsel for Prosecution, Regina v Douglas John Crabbe on five charges of murder.
- Senior Counsel for Rex Jackson, Minister for Corrective Services
- Senior Counsel for Ronald Kinney, Senior Vice President of Builders Labourers Federation of W.A.
- Senior Counsel for Commissioner of Police: Police Tribunal charges against Detective Sergeant Roger Rogerson, Detective Inspector Chad, Assistant Commissioner William Allen, Detective Sergeant William Duff.
- Senior Counsel for Crown; R v Detective Sergeant Ellis, Detective Constables Borthwick and Butler - corruption charges, Griffith.
- Senior Counsel for Barclay Mowlem Ltd, charges arising out of Royal Commission into Building Practices in NSW (Giles Inquiry).
- Inquiry into the death of SQNLDR Hughes for Chief of the Defence Force
- Senior Counsel for Gina Rinehart; WA Coronial Inquiry into the death of Lang Hancock
- Senior Counsel for former W.A. Premier Peter Dowding; Royal Commission into certain Government Activity (W.A. Inc)
- Constituted the Board of Inquiry for the ACT Government Inquiry into Betting Transactions and Associated Matters in the ACT (ACT TAB Inquiry)
- Senior Counsel for Australian Secret Intelligence Service in Inquiry into Certain Complaints (The Samuels/ Codd Inquiry).
- Senior Counsel for the New South Wales Special Weapons and Operations Squad (SWOS), Coronial Inquiry into the death of David Gundy.
- Chairman, Huntley Colliery Inquiry and Associated Reports, Report to the Honourable Neil Pickard, NSW Minister for Minerals and Energy.
- Senior Counsel Assisting the Australian Broadcasting Authority in the Inquiry into Alan Bond.
- Senior Counsel for Officer in Charge, Inquiry into Investigation of Murder of Donald McKay (Nagle report).
- Senior Counsel for Franca Arena (Nader Inquiry).
- Senior Counsel for Police Tactical Response Group - Special Inquiry into wounding of Darren Brennan (Staunton Inquiry).
- Report of the Commission of Inquiry into the death of SQNLDR Adam Luke Hughes, Report by Richard Burbidge QC to the Chief of the Defence Force, Air Chief Marshall Houston, 12 June 2009.
- Board of Inquiry Report into Matters Relating to Contractual Arrangements between ACTTAB and VITTAB and Other Matters, Report by Mr Richard Burbidge QC to the Chief Minister ACT Government, December 1997.
Papers Presented Include:
Paramount Powers of Persuasion for Interlocutory Injunctions - 2009 Litigation Skills Forum, Lexis Nexis, 2009.
Junk Science : Medicine and the Law (2001), Australian Law Journal Vol. 75, page 761.
The Significance of McGuiness and Barnes on Statistical Proof of Causality- NSW Medico-Legal Society, 2000
The Victim Culture Revisited, Australian Lawyers Association - Aspen, Colorado, 1998
Phantom Risk - The Victim Culture, Australian Lawyers Association - Aspen, Colorado, 1996
Asbestos Risk - East Sabah Medico-Legal Conference, 1984
Mr Burbidge is an accredited Mediator and a member of IAMA. He has experience in Common Law, Commercial and Family Law.